Undoubtedly, the keywords (see SEO Dictionary ) are one of the best weapons that you can have in the arsenal of your digital marketing strategy, but you do not always take them as a priority . As a result, mistakes are made and opportunities are lost that affect the search of your company in Google and other search engines.
What kind of mistakes? There you go the 5 most common:
The keywords are too important for your site to put a lot of impromptu words. The biggest mistake you can make in SEO is to spend time creating content without first having done a thorough analysis of what words you need to use for your positioning strategy. Do you take into consideration what your buyer people are looking for ? How do those words fit with what you offer?
How should you start developing the right keywords for your business?
Start by writing down the words and phrases relevant to your business. Let them flow without thinking too much. Use the following questions as a guide:
- What are all the different things your business does?
- What products and / or services do you offer?
- What things do you solve your customers with your product or service?
- What questions do you hear from your customers?
- How does your competition describe what they do in their business?
Once you have those words, organize them by category and then take them to your site and campaigns. Then, do an investigation with your keywords (for example with the Google Keyword Planner ) so that you know which companies are already using them to rank in Google, and how difficult it is to have a good ranking with the words you chose.
2. Missing many opportunities
When you are doing a landing page or a new page within your site, and you are doing it in a hurry, it is easy to forget where all the keywords have to go:
- Titles of the pages: These appear in the browser tab as well as in the search results, and will have a certain impact on whether someone will click or not. Include keywords in your title to have more opportunities in search engines. Do not forget to write titles with no more than 60 characters.
- Meta Description: While these do not have a direct impact on the search ranking, these descriptions tell Internet users directly if the content of the page is relevant or not for what they are looking for and have a very high impact on the CTR (see SEO dictionary ). As in the titles, look for keywords in your meta descriptions. Do not write more than 155 characters.
- URL: If you can put keywords in your URL, do not stop doing it. Again, make sure that the words flow naturally and that they describe the content of your page well.
3. Create your content around your keywords
The fact that you put your keywords three thousand times in a single text is like an intense salesman who does not understand a NO as an answer. The task of inbound marketing is to get the leads to arrive alone, without you bothering them. If you include your keywords forcibly the only thing you will achieve is to scare away your audience , and all your effort will not help.
The content of your page should flow naturally, and you should talk to your buyer person, instead of creating an egalitarian text where you only talk about yourself. So write your texts with your target audience in mind before anything else, and then go back and read it to see where you can put some keywords. Do not make them your priority, remember that they are not. Your priority is your customers.
4. Stay with the first idea you had
We have said that you put your keywords in all the places that cover your digital marketing strategies, but if you do not take the time to write multiple ideas, variations of titles, meta descriptions, etc., then you are not giving enough value to your product or service.
5. Focus on short words and put aside the long ones
It is easy to think that the keywords should be short, however it can happen, and many times, that you have the need to create not words, but phrases. If you sell “solar panels” you will not only use the word “solar”, will you?
Do not focus only on short words or two-word phrases, you may need 4-5 word phrases that reflect how your potential customers may be looking for your company’s terms. These long phrases will be easier to rank, better than if you write only one. In addition, you will get the right traffic to your site. As a strategist you have a hundred thousand things to think about, but keywords do not have to be one of them. The key is to learn from the mistakes that others make and make keywords a priority in the list of things you have to do.