Linkedin is considered the professional social network par excellence. We all know that through Linkedin we can search for jobs, as well as find candidates and contact other professionals. But do you know if your profile on Linkedin is well configured? What mistakes do we usually make?
Javier Gómez, an expert in Linkedin, spoke to us in a webinar about the professional use of this social network and in this post, we will review what he explained to us.
We will start by asking what an individual can do on Linkedin. Through our profile, we can create our curriculum, but it is a multimedia CV. Linkedin aims to make it more and more visual. Javier Gómez also points out that you can consider LinkedIn for different interests: training, informing yourself, following companies, looking for a job, looking for candidates or for commercial purposes. But to achieve all this, Linkedin must be worked on with a clear strategy.
And, a company, what can you do on Linkedin? Through the company page can be presented to the entire community of Linkedin and reflect their contact information such as the web, address, telephone, activity sector … There are also product pages where you can publicize their products and services and communicate information relative. In addition, these pages are not linked to the company so you can follow a product page that interests you without having to follow the company. Companies can also submit job offers.
5 tips to take care of your Linkedin profile
Javier Gómez explained the typical errors that usually occur when filling out our Linkedin profile:
1. Profile picture The first thing we look for when we look for someone through Linkedin is photography, with which, if we want to use this network to look for a job or contact clients, partners, etc. It is very important that the image is consistent with our company in the case of commercial purposes and in the case of a job search, which is professional. The photo can be used as a branding channel to make the company known for making, for example, that all employees have one in which the company logo appears.
2. Professional holder. After the photograph what we see is the owner and is what will serve us to differentiate ourselves from other users. If you are going to use it for a commercial purpose it is necessary that you differentiate yourself by contributing something more. For this, Linkedin advises you to put creative headlines. An example of a creative title of a journalist: “Expert in creating and transmitting things with credibility”.
3. The extract. Once someone has clicked on our profile, the next thing you will see is the extract, that is, a summary. An error that is seen many times is to write it in the third person. The extract has to be brief, better in separate paragraphs and always in the first person.
4. Personalized URL. Another tip to demonstrate that we know how to use Linkedin is to configure a custom url. Your personalized url can have between 5 and 30 letters or numbers. Do not use spaces, symbols or special characters. The url can not be changed more than three times in six months, if you have done so, you have to wait another six months to be able to change it again. An example of a custom url is the following: http://es.linkedin.com/in/franciscoalvarez
5. Professional experience. It is very important that you do not bore the reader and for this you must give, above all, multimedia information in such a way that the user makes a global composition of what you do. On Linkedin, we can include links to articles, interviews, jobs …
Javier Gómez recalls that in order for Linkedin to be effective we are interested in having a large number of contacts from both 1st and 2nd level and conclude with these mantras:
“The bigger your network is, the more people you can see”
“The bigger your network is, the more people can see you”
“The bigger your network is, the more people you can search and contact”
Do you want to become an expert in the management of Social Networks? Find out about the Master in Community Management and Social Media.