How to improve the SEO of your blog easily
Tips to improve the SEO of your blog without the need to be an expert.
Many times when you look for tips or ways to improve the SEO of a blog you will find that you need some prior knowledge about SEO or at least a minimum of technical knowledge to apply many of the improvements that are proposed.
This post collects tips that are easy to apply and that do not require any prior or technical knowledge to apply them, simply by following a series of steps when publishing a post, you can considerably improve the positioning of them.
1. Optimize titles
It is horrible when you get to a blog and you find titles that seem to have been written by an over-sugared child (something very common in personal blogs) and that they are not optimal either at the SEO level or at the user level. Some examples:
- I love! The boots for this winter are a must
- It’s wonderful to go out on the street and find the decoration stores full of original ideas
- Tips to improve the SEO of your website and the web positioning in Google of your web page
They are not real examples but I have found much worse things in relatively important blogs. The most important thing when writing a well-optimized title is to know what you are going to write about and know what question or problem you are going to solve with it.
- What is the main keyword of your post? : Use it in the title
- If your post answers a question or solves a problem, let it be known in the title: “How to improve …”, “Advice for …”, “2014 Trends in …”, etc.
- Do not exceed 70 characters, it is the maximum that Google shows in the search results
- Include the keyword of your post the more to the left better, without losing the title
If you want, you have more information on how to choose a good SEO title for a post.
2. Optimize URLs
Most likely, if you are a blogger you are using as a platform for your WordPress or Blogger publications. These platforms create the URL of the post automatically, in the case of Blogger is usually the title of the post itself and in WordPress, the date of publication plus the title of the post and this at SEO level is not very correct.
To correctly optimize the URL you have to follow a few tips:
- Never leave the default URL, edit it with these platforms is very simple
- Remove articles and prepositions from the URL, for example, if the URL is “How to improve the SEO of your blog” the URL should stay in “how-to-improve-blog”
- Use hyphens (-) instead of low bars (_)
- Never use strange characters such as accents, eñes or interrogations in the URL
- Include the keyword in the URL
- The positioning power of a URL decreases the longer it is , make the URL as short as possible without losing any sense
3. Internal links
It is very important that when you write a new article you add links to previous articles that are related to it, in this way, in addition to providing your reader with more useful information about the topic you are dealing with, you are giving Google more ease at the time to navigate in your blog.
What to do and what not to do with internal links
- If you publish an article from which you do not have any other article to link to, write it down and when you write another related article, edit the first post and add the link
- When you publish an article, check if you can link it from previous articles that have been successful
- Use Descriptive Anchor Text, instead of using texts like “click here” or “other article”, use phrases that really describe the article
- Do not abuse it, texts with many links are difficult to read and readers will end up ignoring them
- Do not come up with internal links and link to external resources, often links to third-party sites are a great help to your readers, in addition to getting these pages you link to know of your existence
4. Optimize your images
It goes without saying that images are an essential element in a good article, so it is also vital to have them well optimized, both at the level of quality of the image itself and at the SEO level:
- Use descriptive names in the images you upload, do not upload them with names like “IMG_ 28903”, if the image is from a lipstick call it “lip_bar”
- Add the “alt” tag in all the images, Google can not “read” the images so it identifies the image by the surrounding text or by the “alt” tag
- As always, do not abuse the keywords in the two previous cases, there is also the Keyword Stuffing for images
- Optimizes the size and weight of the images, often uploads images with excess information that really does not help
My personal recommendation is that you use Sizzlepig to resize the images to the exact size you want to upload to your blog, eliminating the risk of images slowing down the loading speed of your website.
5. Publish on a regular basis
In the last year Google has made it quite clear that it prioritizes recent content, since it assumes that something that is recent must be more updated and therefore be more useful for the user. I’ve done the search for “tips to improve SEO” and you can see that the first results are very recent:
You can follow some tips so that publishing often is not a hell:
- Make a calendar in a spreadsheet with the days in which you are going to publish and what you are going to publish, knowing this is much easier to write articles
- Diversify the content, not everything has to be super-worked articles, create slideshares, compilations or articles like “the best of”
- Update your old articles
Whatever you do, you NEVER change the image and title of an article and republish it, Google realizes immediately and will penalize you
As the last tip to improve the SEO of your blog (something you have never read) is that you create quality content and help the user, without this, everything that is explained in this article will not make any sense.