The key to any successful online store is to have a marketing strategy that stands out.Nowadays there are so many different marketing channels that it can be difficult to determine which are the most suitable for your store. This is why today we are going to talk in detail about email marketing.
You have probably clicked on this article because you ask yourself: “what is e-mail marketing?” On the other hand, you may already know what it is but you want to know what are the advantages of using this marketing channel. Maybe you just want to get some useful email marketing tips to help you boost your current campaign. No matter what stage you’re in with email marketing, this channel can do wonders to increase sales and increase traffic to your site. This practical guide is full of email marketing tools that will undoubtedly help you achieve the desired results.
However, before delving into the email marketing strategy, let’s explore what exactly it is and how it works. Later we will review a list with the fundamental steps to follow before, during and after you have started your campaign to achieve the best results. Let us begin!
What is email marketing?
The email marketing It can take many forms, but in its most basic aspect is to send content directly to the inbox of your customers and potential customers in order to increase sales. Normally, your email list will be made up of people who have already visited your website and who provided their email addresses. This can happen because they chose to register in your newsletter or have entered your email when making a purchase in your store. There are countless ways to grow your email list to incorporate into your campaign. You can easily manage your email list and coordinate your marketing campaigns through systems like MailChimp and MadMimi,
If you’re wondering why e-commerce entrepreneurs choose to incorporate email into their marketing campaigns, consider the following. The return on investment that you can get through email marketing is huge. For every $ 1 spent on email marketing, businesses get a return of ~ $ 44. In 2017, the average investment return for email marketing was 122%, four times more than other common marketing channels, including social networks and paid ads on search engines like Google. This is due in large part to the fact that once someone gives you their email address, they have already shown interest in your products and your brand. Therefore, it is a good decision to start implementing email marketing in your business plan, if you have not already done so.
Now, let’s explore the steps needed to get started with your email marketing campaign.
Basic concepts of email marketing
Choose an email service provider
There are many tools that you can incorporate into your email marketing strategy and email service providers can be particularly useful. Through automation, this email marketing tool can send, literally, millions of emails on behalf of different companies every day. The following are some other reasons why you need a good email service provider:
- Track the bounce rate: this is one of the most important metrics you need to monitor to ensure you maintain a good reputation. The percentage of the bounce rate depends on the quality of your mailing list. Old and invalid bounced emails should no longer be used. Your email marketing service provider will help you identify these defective emails and maintain a lower bounce rate.
- Ability to deliver emails: an email service provider has a higher rate of deliverability compared to emails sent personally, which is another reason why, if you sign up with an email provider, your email campaigns will be more successful
- Mobile availability: in 2016, 55% of all emails were opened on mobile devices, so a friendly and responsive email format is crucial for your email marketing campaigns.The use of email templates with a responsive design and that adapt to the size of any screen will ensure that your subscribers see exactly what you want them to see. When you search for email marketing tools for your company, pay attention to the usability, interactivity and format that these email service providers offer in their email templates.
- Complete sales reports of email campaigns : any email service provider that is worth using will present you in the panel of your account several important analyzes, including complete sales reports. These services make this information manageable and easily accessible. As with all marketing channels, it is key to make decisions based on data to design your strategies.
- Typically, email service providers offer free trials. This way you have nothing to lose by experimenting with different platforms. Take advantage of this, as it will help you better understand how email marketing works for companies.
Get a professional email address
Email addresses with free domains such as Gmail, Yahoo, AOL and Hotmail are designed for personal use and not for commercial purposes. Email marketing campaigns sent from these addresses will not approve DMARC policy authentication, and many of them will never reach their final destinations. You can find more information about the DMARC policy here .
The solution is to send campaigns by email from your own domain, for example @ mitienda.com. This will send a clear message to subscribers about who you are, as well as spam and DMARC authentication filters. It will also make your e-commerce business look more professional in front of your customers and will assure you that you have a legitimate business. Learn how to create professional email addresses if you have your online store in Shopify . This is an essential step to fully understand how email marketing works.
Create a healthy subscriber list
Regardless of how you design your email marketing strategy, it will be more effective if you have a healthy list of contacts. In fact, this part is crucial for your email marketing campaigns. With “healthy” I mean that your contacts are familiar with your store, that they have chosen to subscribe to your marketing list by email recently (in the last 6 months), and that they are still committed to your brand. This is important to ensure better email opening rates, more clicks and more conversions in your campaigns. Having a quality email list will also keep the email bounce rate low and ensure that you do not have a negative reputation as a “spammer”.
As for spam or spam, if your contact list is made up of people who have subscribed to your newsletter there is nothing you should worry about. Your subscribers have already confirmed that they want to receive your emails and that is definitely not spam. And if they no longer want to receive your emails, they always have the option to unsubscribe. Email services make managing mailing lists much easier than trying to do it on your own.
Updating your subscriber list is an endless task. You will continually include some obsolete addresses, because people often tend to change their emails for numerous reasons, including job changes and even surnames. Also, they may simply lose interest after a few months of being enrolled. Always remember that a smaller email list with quality addresses is better than a large one with a high bounce rate. In fact, even Hubspot eliminated 250,000 subscribers from its own email list for the sake of better delivery rates.
Instructions for email marketing campaigns
Now that we have covered the basics, this section of the email marketing guide is full of practical tips on email marketing , with topics such as the frequency of sending emails, subject lines, images and interactive designs that affect to your campaigns. This information will help you take your email marketing strategy to the next level.
Plan the frequency of communication of your email marketing strategy
Before launching your email marketing campaign, keep in mind how often you would like to communicate with your customers. They already receive transactional emails from you, so you should carefully plan future attempts to contact them. Approaching your clients without any strategy can end up being counterproductive, since some customers receive too many emails, and others may consider that your emails are very few and far between.
When deciding how often to send your emails, consider the following questions. How many promotional bulletins would it be ideal to send to your customers per month? Are you going to send information about new collections or just sales announcements? What other types of emails would it make sense to send to your customers? Do you want to make a single welcome email or a series of them? What about the recovery and reactivation emails of the shopping cart? Plan the entire chain of communication by email with a specific customer and remember to explore all the tools of email marketing offered by your service provider to configure how often a customer receives your emails.
To prevent your customers from losing interest, we recommend sending a newsletter more than once a month. According to the Direct Marketing Association, most companies send promotional campaigns by email 2-3 times a month. However, to make the most of email marketing, you should be conservative as often as you send your campaigns. For example, if you create campaigns where emails are sent every day, this can cause the subscription cancellation rate to increase.
I suggest starting with biweekly newsletter campaigns in combination with other email campaigns where you send emails based on special occasions, such as Christmas, Black Friday, Independence Day or Valentine’s Day. These campaigns generally work better than sending periodic generic promotional emails. People tend to spend their money on vacations, therefore, take advantage of these days and plan your campaign in advance. Here is a calendar of key dates for businesses in 2018, use it for your planning.
In summary, constant communication by email allows you to establish solid relationships with your audience, but it is important to find the right balance in regards to the frequency of sending emails that you send in your campaigns. As part of your email marketing strategy, develop relationships with your customers by making them feel that with each email they are getting to know your brand better.
Experiment with the subject lines
Experimenting with subject lines is another crucial aspect to master the art of a good email marketing strategy. The use of subject lines for promotional emails is one of the most controversial topics among marketers. There are many different opinions on which ones work best. However, the truth is that there is no single formula to create a perfect subject line, and each brand has to find its own way to be noticed in the inboxes of its customers.
Here are some successful points that are worth following:
- Keep the subject line below 50 characters.
- Try to be fun, tempting or generous.
- Occasional use of emojis is fine, but do not overdo it.
- Includes a time or discount limit.
- Do not use only capital letters in the subject.
- Also, do not use many exclamation marks.
- Always use a pre-header, the line that recipients see right after the subject line.
The rest depends on time and luck. Try different email marketing campaigns to better understand how everything works after trial and error.
Pay special attention to the call to action button
In this section of the instructions for email marketing campaigns, we will see the importance of the call to action button (CTA). People rarely read all the content of an email, as they tend to read the text quickly and click on the large, bright button. In general, the most important part of your newsletter and your email marketing campaigns is the call to action button.
When it comes to style, text-based call-to-action buttons tend to work better. Also, your call to action should be brief and really contain action words, such as “buy”, “acquire”, etc. In addition, you can customize it using words like “you” and “me”. For example, “Show me”, “Let’s do it”, or “I want this!”.
Keep these visual elements in mind
Now that we have covered some important points to design a good email campaign, we have reached the point in this email marketing guide where it is time to talk about the visual elements. Although many claim that they prefer emails with sophisticated visuals, it is often observed that emails without them get better conversion results. While we do not suggest completely ignoring this element when building your email marketing strategy, or obsessing with aesthetics, it is best to find a balance between the two extremes. Make sure your call-to-action buttons are text-based so that someone who can not see the images can understand the email and, of course, it is more important to give priority to reading and mobility. Here are some more technical guidelines to keep in mind when designing the appearance of your emails:
- Promotional emails are part of the identity of your brand, so the design of the email must match the colors of your brand. Do not forget to use your logo!
- Keep a simple design with a clear call-to-action button.
- Do not use too much text. This is not the place for an essay with hundreds of words. Even if you have many great products for sale, include only those that are relevant to your subscribers.
- Make it easy to take a look. Group information with clear headings in bold, write easy-to-read paragraphs that include bullets, and so on.
- Think of the best fonts for an email. If the font is too small or too elegant, or the color does not stand out from the background, your subscribers will not be able to read the newsletter.
- Leave enough free space to highlight the key aspects of your email. The white space improves the readability of the text and highlights other elements of the newsletter.
- Choose relevant designs for your brand and high quality photos. Believe me, these elements play an important role in helping you get involved with your audience.
Typically, email editors provide personalized email templates that are ready to use. Because the templates are responsible for the technical aspect of things, they are very helpful, especially for beginners.
Add interactive / bizarre email campaigns to your email marketing strategy
In this section of our email marketing guide, we’ll see how you can add interactive elements to your emails. To maintain the interest of your audience, use them in your email marketing strategy. Nowadays, technology allows you to send videos, animated GIFs and more, directly in the body of the email. These additional details bring spectacular results. For example, email sellers claim that after inserting a video in emails, the click rate increases by 55% and the conversion rate increases by 24%.
Set up automated emails
Automated emails make the difference when you use email marketing for electronic commerce. They can literally make you earn money while you sleep! Simply set them up once and then sit back and enjoy seeing how your sales increase. The following are the main four types of email that I strongly recommend you start sending:
- Send a welcome email or a series of emails to new subscribers. These emails earn9 times more money than promotional newsletters and convert your subscribers into customers. At this time, 74.4% of customers say they expect to receive a welcome email. Do not defraud them. In this email, show your appreciation for your interest in your store and offer them a discount on your first purchase. Check herefor more welcome email ideas.
- Send an email, or a series of emails, for each abandoned shopping cart. These are highly personalized emails that are automatically sent after a customer leaves their shopping cart. This email includes the abandoned items with images, prices and descriptions. Abandoned cart emails have great potential to recover lost revenue, so automating this task can be truly invaluable. Check out these examples of successful emails for abandoned shopping carts for inspiration.
- Send a follow-up email after a purchase. These are excellent for inviting customers to follow you on social networks, offer a discount on a next purchase, send recommendations for other products, and so on. Be creative.
- Finally, send a reactivation email or a series of them. These emails are sent to customers who have not bought you for a long time. Usually, reactivation emails use incentives such as free shipping or personal discounts. In most cases, the message in this email is a variation of: “We miss you, please come back”.
Track the results of your email marketing campaigns
The final advice you should know about email marketing has to do with tracking the results of your campaigns. After launching a campaign, monitoring what works and what does not, opens the door to identifying where you can improve and obtain better results in the metrics.
The metrics that are worth monitoring in electronic commerce are:
- Opening rate (average% on the market 16.92%)
- Click-through rate (% market average 2.61%)
- Sales $ (average revenue by promotional email $ 0.02)
- Rebound rate (% market average 0.27%)
- Subscription cancellation fee ((% market average 0.21%)
Click Map enriches the email delivery reports with a visual view of the clicks in your newsletter. This way you can easily identify the products, images and call-to-action buttons that had the most clicks.
Always pay attention to reports when using email marketing tools. Generating sales reports and mapping the clicks of each email campaign will help you learn faster and understand what works for your customers.
Summary of the email marketing guide
In these instructions for email marketing for beginners you learned the advantages of email marketing, along with many other email marketing tips to take your campaigns to the next level. Integrating this information into your email marketing strategy will give you an advantage over your competition.
To summarize some of the key points of this article, remember to pay much more attention to your call-to-action buttons and subject lines. Make sure you do not overload your email with too many text messages, and be strategic about how often your brand appears in your customers’ inboxes. Using an email service provider such as MadMimi or MailChimp will help you maintain all this, while providing excellent templates to send incredible email campaigns. In addition, they will help you synthesize data about the performance of your campaigns. When trying to understand the performance of a campaign, take special note of things like the rate of opening emails, clicks, bounces and cancellation of the subscription.
Now that you have finished reading this guide, you already have the necessary tools to start experimenting with email marketing. After all, the best way to learn something in the world of Ecommerce is doing it. Rest assured that email marketing will offer you one of the best investment returns of any channel, so you will not have much to lose by trying different email marketing strategies. If after starting you have other more specific questions, do not forget that there are endless lists available online with all kinds of tips on email marketing, including on our blog. All these resources, combined with a little determination and creativity, will lead you to success.
Do you want to know more?
- Amazon dropshipping guide from your Shopify online store
- SEO beginner’s guide for dropshipping
- Drop shipping with AliExpress: a novel guide
- How much money can you earn with an online store?
What email marketing strategies have worked best for your online store? Tell us in the comments section!