Hello friends, for 10 years we have been using Squirrelmail as a mail tool for the web. Unfortunately, its development is halted, it has been years since new versions have been released and it has compatibility problems with recent versions of PHP.
That is why we have chosen Roundcube as an alternative, which is a more modern tool, with many improvements compared to Squirrelmail. And whose development is very active (4 versions in the last 8 months).
Throughout the next weeks, we will be making the change in all the servers. The entry address will be the same as always, only now you will find Roundcube. There will be a link to access the old webmail. For a while (3 months at least), you can still access the old Squirrelmail.
Keep in mind that the first time you enter the new webmail will launch the automatic process of copying the address book. That process does not happen again, so if you then go back to the old webmail and add addresses to the address book, those addresses will not be copied to the new webmail.
There is no problem in re-entering old webmail to read or send messages, or delete them or create folders. When you return to the new webmail those changes are retained. Both messages and folders are independent of the webmail used.
Roundcube improvements over Squirrelmail:
Mobile phone interface that activates automatically if you enter with the phone’s browser.
You can use the keyboard for some operations, for example to delete with the telca “delete” or “delete” when we are in the list of messages. Or move through the list with the up and down keys.
You can drag messages between folders, even several at the same time.
You can select messages by clicking on them, including multiple selections with the uppercase key or with control.
The address book includes a search engine, also available when writing a message.
You can drag contacts to add them to a group.
Improved message finder.
Better message management with encodings of different languages or characters and with HTML or rich text.
You can add attachments to a message simply by dragging them from your computer to the attachment section of the message composition window.
And many improvements are not very visible, but they avoid problems that occurred in Squirrelmail with messages with format errors and with attachments with names with accents and eñes.
Although they are very similar programs destined to fulfill the same functionality they have their differences, and some things will not be preserved when the move is finished.If they are preserved:
- Contacts (with their contact groups included)
- The personal information (shipping address and name) that Squirrelmail asked you on the first day you entered.
- The folders and their messages are preserved.
Things that can not be automatically moved from Squirrelmail to Roundcube:
- Message templates Predefined messages saved as templates or templates in Squirrelmail and as responses in Roundcube. Although this functionality exists in both programs, it is not possible to copy them automatically. You can copy them by hand.
- Filters The rules that apply when a message arrives, (filter Spam …) It is important to note that only those created directly in Squirrelmail are deleted, those that are created in Usermin are maintained, where it says – Access to Usermin (for redirects, automatic responses, mail filters …) – .
- Calendar (RoundCube has no calendar)
THE DAY AFTER
The input tray
As you can see in the pictures above the view of the inbox is practically the same, let’s see the new things
- New columns
- star indicates whether it has been read or not, in addition to using the typical bold
- The flag is to highlight it and to see it in red
- The clip tells us if it is attached
- Listing options Giving the wheel that is just to the left of Subject we can configure the columns that appear to us.
- Drag Both to take a mail to another folder, attach files, manage contacts … you can drag with the mouse.
- Delete without going through the trash can Unfortunately in RoundCube can not be deleted without going through the trash, so every time we delete something will end up in the Trash , folder that we will have to empty from time to time. RoundCube has the detail that when the bin has messages inside the symbol appears full, while when nothing is empty.
Write a message
In these two images we can see the screen of writing messages in the two programs, very similar but:
- The type of recipient Cc Cco … They are displayed differently, while Squirrelmail has a line prepared for each, Rounducbe only adds it when the user asks for it by pressing one of the buttons on Cc, Cco …
- Contacts An advantageous innovation that Roundcube brings is that our agenda and a contact search engine appear on the left
- Attachments While in Squirrelmail appears below, in Roundcube appears on the right and allows you to drag files.
- Orthography Roundcube includes spell checker in many languages
- Answers In Roundcube, above, where Answers is about templates, here are called Answers
Our list of personal contacts, Addresses that we said in Squirrelmail, now we find it in the Contacts tab . Here we see how it is organized in two columns, the left for the groups and the right for the contacts within each group. As you can see in the image, top left, you can import and export the contacts. Squirrelmail’s are copied automatically, but you can also bring them from Gmail or another site.
More or less are the same options as for Squirrelmail but it is organized a little better, we can find on the right the Settings button . Clicking there we see two columns, on the left the general configuration blocks and on the right the sections of each block. In the image we see the configuration referring to the composition of messages that is what screen preferences were . Also note the Block folders where we can customize our folders.